Saturday, April 15, 2006

Where is the "Chosen One"!?!

If I see that line one more time in comics I think I'll puke. Why is it that every new hero on the block has to be the "chosen" or "destined" or "fated" or "true borne" or whatever other uniquifying term the writers want to use this week?

I am SOOOOO glad that neither of the stories Chris and I are working working on, Lineage or DragonLines, has characters thusly designated. I find it far more interesting to have "real people", though paranormal if the genre calls for it, working to save the world. There are so many "right fits" for saving the world... the right person at the right place at the right time... there are seldom just "one combination" that will work in real life. Why is it in comics you have "only one"?

I think that tired old cliche needs a break for a decade or so... then maybe it will be "new again" and we can have a next-generation of "chosen".

No comments: